Friday, January 15, 2016

Divisional Round TE Plays

The TE position is turning out very strange.  I began this column last night as the news came across the wire that Rob Gronkowski received pain-killing injections in his knee.  I had to re-think some things.

There are several ways to piece your DFS puzzle together to include Gronkowski.  If you do so, I would pay very close attention to the news cycle.  Last week, those who put Marshawn Lynch in their lineups and did not watch the news cycle lost out on valuable points.

I traditionally do not write about Gronkowski because I would never argue with you for using the best TE in football.  This week is different due to the lack of options at the position.

1.  Rob Gronkowski ($7500)
Gronk is the clear cut favorite in my book, before the injury.  Now, his status makes me seriously reconsider using someone else.  Gronk is $600 more than Greg Olsen.  Gronk is the biggest mismatch for any defense to defend.  His size/strength/speed combination make it nearly impossible for opposing teams to counter.  If Gronk is healthy, a multiple-TD performance is well within reach.  The Chiefs do have one of the best defenses in the NFL, but covering Gronk is a task few have been able to conquer.  I have Gronk in one of my lineups, but again I will be paying very close attention to the news cycle.  I will update as the weekend progresses.

2.  Greg Olsen ($6900)

Olsen and Gronk are really the only two TE's to consider in my book.  Olsen had 72 fewer yards than Gronk on the season but did have four fewer touchdowns.  The last time these two teams faced, Olsen posted a very strong 7/131/1 stat line.  I do believe Cam Newton built some more chemistry with his spotty WR corp over the course of the season.  The fact is, they are simply either too young or not overly talented.  Olsen has proven to be an extremely reliable target throughout his career.  When Newton needs to move the sticks, look for him to rely on his own legs or Olsen when it matters most.  Olsen had three 100+ yard games this season and could easily be in for another on in the Divisional Round.

Other Notes:
Heath Miller ($3200): I think Miller makes a decent cash game option, but his upside is extremely limited.  It looks more like Roethlisberger will play but we still do not know how effective he will be.  I fear a major drop off from the Steelers offense against the best defense in the NFL.
 
Travis Kelce ($5100): Kelce has the physical tools to rank with the top two TE's this week.  The issue is, Jeremy Maclin.  I do not believe Maclin will be at full strength.  That leaves Kelce as the Chiefs most dangerous option on offense.  I would anticipate the Patriots to make Kelce their main focus on defense.  Bill Belichick makes a point of eliminating the opposing team's most dangerous weapon.  With Maclin less than 100%, Kelce is that guy.

Richard Rodgers ($4000):  I can see some upside for Rodgers this weekend.  The top two WR's for the Packers will have a tough day.  There may be some opportunities for Rodgers and Abbrederis for some work on the underneath routes.  Rodgers makes a nice red zone target and could haul in a touchdown or two.

Divisional Round WR Plays

I will answer any and all DFS/fantasy football questions.

Tweet me @Brian_Eilering
Email me Br_Eilering@yahoo.com

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. Do you use DailyLineups as a source?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not familiar with that particular site. I appreciate the feedback and thanks for reading!

      Delete